Urban Ink is seeking experienced individuals to join our emotional support team!
Position Title: Emotional Support Worker
Location: The York Theatre, Vancouver, BC
Performance Dates: May 17-June 3, 2017
Benefits: Honorarium and two tickets for personal use to attend Children of God
Urban Ink is looking for experienced Emotional Support Workers to join us for our production of Children of God. Due to the potentially triggering content of the performance, we are looking for skilled individuals to attend the shows with the purpose of providing support to audience members who may require it. The audience members may include residential school survivors and family.
Urban Ink is an Indigenous and Intercultural theatre company based in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. We are dedicated to providing a platform for Indigenous and Intercultural artists to tell their stories from their own unique voice.
Children of God is an Urban Ink production that will be performed from May 17-June 3, 2017 in Vancouver, BC. Children of God is a powerful musical about residential school. The play is a blend of ancient traditions and contemporary realities, celebrating resilience and the power of the Indigenous cultural spirit.
Dates and time:
We ask that support workers to be available to work at least two performances (3-hour shift per performance) between May 17 and June 3. There will be evening and matinee performances.
• To provide emotional and/or spiritual support to audience members who have been triggered by the content of the performance
• To ensure a safe and non-judgmental therapeutic space for audience members to access
• To deliver culturally safe therapeutic practices
• Experience with working trauma, including complex trauma, intergenerational trauma and historic trauma
• Experience working with residential school survivors and family
• Experience using mindfulness therapeutic techniques
• Qualified to provide culturally appropriate healing ceremonies, such as smudging
• Preference will be given to individuals with First Nations, Inuit, Metis or Aboriginal ancestry.
If you are interested in this volunteer opportunity please email or call us at:
Sarah Rush or Tanyss Knowles
If you have any questions, please call us or send us an email.